Mixed Bean Tomato Soup
Soak Pereg Natural Soup Mix overnight in cool water, covering the bean mix by 2-3 inches. The next day, drain and rinse the bean mix well.
In a large stockpot, cover the Pereg Soup Mix with cold water by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to medium low and simmer until beans are tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour, careful not to overcook. Stir occasionally while cooking. Once cooked, drain and rinse well.
Once beans are done, heat extra virgin olive oil in a large 4-quart heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, bell pepper, carrots and celery with ¼ teaspoon of salt and sauté until slightly soft, about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 more minute.
Add the crushed tomatoes, vegetable stock, cumin, turmeric, cayenne and beans to the vegetables. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, and season with salt and pepper to taste, garnish with cilantro and serve with crusty bread.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Serves: 8, 1-cup servings
- 1½ cups dried Pereg Natural Soup Mix Beans
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup white onion, small diced
- 1 green bell pepper, small diced
- ½ cup celery, small diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and small diced, about 1 cup
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2½ cups vegetable stock (homemade/store bought)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (if desired)
- Crusty bread for serving
Like the recepie? Add all associated ingredients to your bag