Green Split Pea Dal
Put the split peas in a large 3-4 quart stockpot, and cover with water. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and simmer for 35-45 minutes until very tender.
While cooking the split peas, heat a large sauté pan over medium high heat and add olive oil, butter and cumin seeds. When the butter melts, add onion with a ¼ teaspoon of salt and cook for 5 minutes. Then add jalapeños, ginger, garlic, tomatoes, coriander, and turmeric and cook an additional 5 minutes until onions are tender.
When the split peas are very tender, and water is absorbed, add the onion mixture to the split peas and combine. Season with salt and black pepper and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Garnish with cilantro and lemon juice and serve with naan bread.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Serves: 4, 2/3 cup servings
- 1 cup Pereg Dried Split Peas
- 1 tablespoon Pereg Cumin Seeds ↗
- 1½ cups water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup (½ stick) butter
- 1 cup yellow onions, small diced
- 1-2 (2 inch) jalapeños, small diced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 3 Pereg Garlic Cloves, minced ↗
- ¾ pound fresh Roma tomatoes, small diced
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon Pereg Kosher Salt ↗
- ¼ teaspoon Pereg Coarse Black Pepper ↗
- ½ bunch cilantro
- roughly chopped Juice of 1 lemon Naan for serving
Like the recepie? Add all associated ingredients to your bag